Friday, July 18, 2014

More Scraps



here is the current progress of the hexagon patchwork of scraps...
starting to look like a flowery something...
lots of the scraps are now gone after they're deemed too small for this..

and then I was gifted with someone else's scraps..
lots of bits (that fill a small suitcase)...
leftovers from her patchwork days...


 
so I found a few that sort of go together....
ending up a bright quilt...
for Mr One....
who may or may not see the bird, dogs, fish and dinosaurs...



Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Oil Portrait on Canvas

 well actually a damaged canvas from the tip shop. it wasn't  torn when i bought it, just used.
 i started to paint a landscape, didn't like it , so scraped the paint off & when the canvas was dry i put a mauve wash over it.
i like the colour coming through the mauve & the textured parts where i used thicker paint with a palette knife.
there was a big wind here one day that blew the canvas to the ground & it hit something on the way down.
 tears from the back......& on the front above the eyes they look like cracks.



(raylee).

Monday, July 14, 2014

Vintage/Retro Style Collage/Mixed Media

 stamped more red spots......at the top & the sides......

& i think they are finished.
i started with a black book cover as the base, old torn book pages, sewing pattern paper, magazine pages & torn painted book page paper (black squares), cardboard packaging with circle cutout as a stencil for the red dots & a paper doily as a stencil with gel medium to create some texture,  an old wine cork as a stamp (broken red shapes), all paint used  is acrylic.
(raylee).

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Vintage Theme Collage/Mixed Media

 working on a pair .......collage mixed media on old book covers, still in progress.
 the inside of the book cover, i used the black outside of the cover.....
 painted book pages, torn for collage....& torn magazine pages,.......a vintage theme.....


 over the collage.....

(raylee).

Friday, July 4, 2014

Pinky scrappy quilt

another scrappy quilt done....
 
 
 scraps from a dress...
a blouse...and little girls pyjamas...
 
 
and another old sheet for the backing...

 
with a few hearts sewn on top to hold it all together...


Saturday, June 28, 2014

Friday, June 27, 2014

Floral Horse - Mixed Media Art



 ......floral collage on a gessoed canvas.......i used gel medium as glue......then used this  rose patterned block print  to apply the pink acrylic paint, when it was dry i put on another layer of acrylic in blue.



 brought in colour with conte crayons.....
 ......started to blend & spread the colour with my fingers.....

 the first photo (at the top) is the closest to the real colour of the painting......the last one was taken before i sprayed the finished painting with spray fixative.
the rose print  under the pastel crayon adds extra texture, & i have left a lot of the collage showing. i like to see the layers within the image.
thanks for coming to look at our blog......we hope you enjoy what you see.
(raylee).

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Buried Treasure - Re-Posting a Mixed Media Painting

 this painting was entirely experimental........i have never seen an encaustic painting, only on tv & artist's blogs.
so when i came to a tutorial in the book - "Surface Treatment Workshop", explore 45 Mixed Media Techniques, by Darlene Olivia McElroy & Sandra Duran Wilson, queen of glue, & princess of paint for *faux encaustic* i gave it a try.
 first step: collage with torn green magazine paper on canvas......

 when it had dried added some crayon & acrylic paint........more floral collage.....then more paint glazes.....
 i didn't always like some of the colours when the paint had dried, so i just added a different colour until i was happy with it.
 i used transparent colours mixed with clear painting medium to make glazes as i didn't want to lose the layers.
as it was an experiment i didn't stress about it, in the end it all kinda blended together.
 pressed a rose stamp into more wet gel medium......then did the same with a leaf shape, added more layers of paint......
 each layer of collage, crayon & paint was covered with a mix of watered down gel medium, you can see it is still wet in this photo below......
 as each layer dried i continued to add more layers of  each medium until i thought it looked ok.
 i am not sure if it looks like * faux encaustic*, but i was happy with my first try.
 i can see layers going back to some of the collage,.....

so this is my contribution to "buried treasure" organized by Seth Apter, thealteredpage.
to see more please visit Seth's blog.
(raylee).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...